How can my family obtain a residence permit?

I am a Thai citizen with a Thai passport. I have been living and working aboard for the past 37 years and plan on moving back to Thailand in October.

My wife and two children are Dutch. My wife is not going to work in Thailand and my children are going to attend an international school in Bangkok. What documents are required for our family to obtain a residence permit?

  • Asked on Saturday, September 29, 2007 | 11:03 AM
    Komgrit Veerananda, Netherlands.

You can obtain a non-immigrant “O” visa from the Thai embassy in the Netherlands for your wife and your children.

If you have the necessary documents from the school your children will be attending, then you can request a non-immigrant “ED” for them, but it is not necessary since they will be also allowed to enter Thailand and study with the non-immigrant “O” visa.

Once you enter Thailand, you can apply for a one-year permit to stay at any immigration office to allow them to stay longer and avoid having to do visa runs every three months.

To obtain a residence permit, your wife and children must have one-year permits to stay continually for at least three years.

Click here to see the full list of requirements and the documents that you will need on article 7.17 of Thai Royal Police order 606/2549.

The requirements and information for the residence permit application can be found in English here or in Thai here.

  • Answered on Saturday, September 29, 2007 | 11:03 AM
    Pol Capt Krissarat Nuesen of the Phuket Provincial Immigration Office.
Send a letter about this Issue & Answer