Immigration hurdles after moving province

My farang wife and I have type-O retirement visas. These were issued on December 17, 2006, at the Immigration office in Phuket City.

In September, we moved from Phuket, to live permanently in the Nakhon Sri Thammarat province.

On September 5, we visited the Immigration Office in Surat Thani town. There, we each completed a Form 47, where we reported our home address as still being in Phuket because we did not have the necessary paperwork to show a residential address in Nakhon Sri Thammarat.

The next Form 47 reporting date is December 5.

Our questions are:

1. Now that we have the paperwork verifying our new address in Nakhon...

  • Asked on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 | 07:11 PM
    Don & Inge McMahon, Nakhon Sri Thammarat.

You can register your new residential address at the Immigration office in either Surat Thani or Nakhon Sri Thammarat. You will need to bring your lease for the land, the house registration papers (tabien baan) and your and your wife’s passports.

You should check with whichever office with which you will register your new address whether they require any other paperwork, because some officers ask to see some documents from the landlord or even require that the landlord go to the office with you.

After you have registered your new address, you do not need to travel back to Phuket to renew your permits to stay. You can do this at the Immigration office in the province where you are registered as residents. The documents required are listed in Order 606/2549 Article 7.21 (click here to download the list of documents required).

I suggest you apply to renew your permits to stay at least one month before they expire, and you should call the office where you will apply to confirm which documents are needed as such requirements often change without prior notice.

  • Answered on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 | 07:11 PM
    Pol Capt Krissarat Nuesen of the Phuket Provincial Immigration Office.
Send a letter about this Issue & Answer