Retirement visas for dependent housewives

My husband and I just bought a house for 3 million baht and we are planning to invest more in rebuilding next year. My husband is 65 years old. He receives a pension of 85,000 baht a month, but I am 50 years old and, as a housewife dependent on him, do not receive a pension. Can I apply for a one-year retirement visa? We are planning to move here next year.

  • Asked on Wednesday, December 5, 2007 | 10:24 AM
    Debbie Habeler, Karon.

Your husband can apply for a non-immigrant “O” retirement visa from a Thai embassy or consulate in your country. When you file that application, also file an application for you to also be issued a non-immigrant “O” visa on the basis of your husband’s status.

When you are both in Thailand, you can both apply for a one-year permit to stay at any Immigration office using the same documents filed with your husband’s non-immigrant “O” visa application. You should be issued a one-year permit to stay, the same as your husband, as you are the spouse of a retiree.

With your application for a one-year permit to stay, you must show your marriage license.

  • Answered on Wednesday, December 5, 2007 | 10:24 AM
    Pol Capt Krissarat Nuesen of the Phuket Provincial Immigration Office.
Send a letter about this Issue & Answer