Permits-to-stay for Thais

I am a Thai. I married a foreigner and left Thailand 20 years ago. Now I have returned to my hometown because my mother is ill. I have to stay here and take good care of her. I entered the country with my foreign passport with a tourist visa valid for 90 days.

I was told by staff at the Thai Embassy that issued my tourist visa that because I am still a Thai citizen and I still have my Thai ID card and passport, that I did not need to go to Immigration and extend my visa. I was told that...

  • Asked on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 | 04:59 PM
    Patty Bamert.

You should have entered Thailand using your Thai passport. Doing so would have meant that you would not have required a visa to come back to Thailand.

However, as you have already entered Thailand on a foreign passport with a 90-day tourist visa, you can apply for a permit to stay.

As you are Thai, just bring your Thai ID card and the tabien baan (house registration document) that you are registered on, along with 1,900 baht for the application fee.

You will be issued a one-year permit to stay, but you must report to an Immigration office every 90 days.

When you come to our Immigration office, please explain to the officer clearly what your situation is as now it’s high season and we have hundreds of people contacting us each day.

My impression is that the officer you spoke to did not understand clearly, because if you told him that you are Thai and that you do not need to extend your stay, the officer can’t do anything for you.

You should explain that you are Thai but entered Thailand on a foreign passport with a 90-day tourist visa and that you need a permit to stay, then you will get what you need.

  • Answered on Wednesday, December 26, 2007 | 04:59 PM
    Pol Capt Krissarat Nuesen of the Phuket Provincial Immigration Office.
Send a letter about this Issue & Answer