Visa for foreign nanny

I am here on a retirement visa with a one-year permit-to-stay. I have a three-year-old daughter to whom I am sole parent. She was born in the Philippines and, like me, she has a Norwegian passport.

I own a condominium in Phuket. My daughter has a Filipino nanny who has only a tourist visa. Is there any way the nanny can acquire a one-year temporary visa, for example by investing a minimum of three million baht here or on the grounds that my daughter needs a nanny with same background as her birth?

  • Asked on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 | 08:06 PM
    Stein Egil Oserod, Boat Lagoon.

There is no “dependent” visa for a maid or nanny. As you live in Thailand with a non-immigrant “O-A” retirement visa, you can apply for a dependent visa and permit-to stay-for your daughter – but not for your daughter’s nanny.

If you formed your own company, you could possibly hire her as an employee – provided you complied with all the relevant investment laws. However, you cannot set up a company solely for the purpose obtaining a visa for your daughter’s nanny.

I suggest that she do visa runs to comply with immigration law. Please note, however, that she would only be limited to a maximum stay of 90 days over a 180-day period if she is granted a visa exemption (often called a “visa-on-arrival” — Editor).

If your nanny wants to stay longer, she must apply for a visa from a Thai embassy or consulate outside Thailand.

  • Answered on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 | 08:06 PM
    Pol Capt Krissarat Nuesen of the Phuket Provincial Immigration Office.
Send a letter about this Issue & Answer