Visa for Laotian ‘spouse’

I am staying in Thailand on a non-immigrant “B” visa. My partner, a Lao citizen to whom I am not married, is currently having to do a “visa run” every 30 days. We have a child who was born in Thailand. Is there any way, without getting married, that the mother of my child can be “added” to my non-immigrant “B” visa so that there is no need for her to do 30-day border runs?

She does not work as she is effectively a housewife, looking after our baby, so I cannot get a visa issued for her on the basis of...

  • Asked on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 | 08:07 PM
    Daniel Galt, Rawai.

There is no regulation under which an unmarried “spouse” can be issued a visa or permit-to-stay as a dependent on another person’s visa.

In your case, you can only apply for a non-immigrant “O” visa and a one-year permit-to-stay for your child – but not for your spouse.

If you were married with a marriage certificate to prove it, it would be easy for your wife to obtain a visa as a dependent and then apply for a one-year permit to stay.

  • Answered on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 | 08:07 PM
    Pol Capt Krissarat Nuesen of the Phuket Provincial Immigration Office.
Send a letter about this Issue & Answer