Bank balances for retiring in Thailand

We are hoping to retire to Thailand in August next year. My question relates to the retirement visa. Do we both have to have 800,000 baht in two separate bank accounts to be issued the necessary visas? Or will 800,000 baht in one bank account be enough for both of us?

I will be 64 years old and my wife 58. We are both British. Thank you.

  • Asked on Friday, August 1, 2008 | 04:47 PM
    Redsands, UK.

You and your wife will need to have been issued non-immigrant O visas in order to be issued one-year permit-to-stays.

Although it is not necessary to be issued non-immigrant O-A (retirement) visas before entering Thailand, they do make the process easier when applying for one-year permit-to-stays.

Once you are in Thailand, you can apply at Immigration for a one-year permit-to-stay based on retirement. In your application, you will need to show that you have 800,000 baht in a Thai bank account.

Then your wife can apply for a one-year permit-to-stay based on her being your wife and that you are staying in Thailand on the basis of retirement.

In her application, filed on this basis, she will not need to show that she has 800,000 baht in the bank.

However, she will need to show your marriage certificate to prove that she is your wife.

  • Answered on Friday, August 1, 2008 | 04:47 PM
    Pol Capt Krissarat Nuesen, Phuket Provincial Immigration Office.
Send a letter about this Issue & Answer