Child Adoption

How can a foreigner officially adopt a baby that has been abandoned by its family, without having to pay the neglectful family any money? Nearly two years ago my ex-girlfriend and I were given a six-month-old baby by her aunt, who was unable to look after the baby for financial and personal reasons. My ex left one year ago and has since left the country. As I had made the decision to adopt the baby I felt I could not return her to her family as they are unable to look after her. I am therefore still looking after her....

  • Asked on Monday, January 8, 2001 | 10:22 PM
    Merv, Patong

You can’t adopt a child without the parents’ permission. There is no way that you can do it. But if the parents are missing then maybe you can get a court order allowing you to adopt. But in this case, you have no choice but to get their permission.

  • Answered on Monday, January 8, 2001 | 10:22 PM
    Waiyakarn Jarmikorn, Provincial State Attorney
Send a letter about this Issue & Answer