Foreign marriages in Thailand

I want to get married in Phuket while on holiday next April. Can you tell me what I need to do to organize this?

  • Asked on Monday, January 22, 2001 | 08:15 AM
    Jane Carr, Australia

Many hotels, resorts and travel companies in Phuket organize wedding functions for couples. To name a few, the Dusit Laguna, the Sheraton Grand Laguna Beach Resort, the Banyan Tree, Le Meridian, and Plub Pla all offer such packages. However, these places organize only the functions, and not the legal registration of the marriage as this is a complex procedure. This is left for the bride and groom to do.

  • Answered on Monday, January 22, 2001 | 08:15 AM
    Phanlop Ritthirong, Sales & Business Development Manager, Pacific World Co Ltd

Marriages in Thailand are registered in person at the District Office of the district where the marriage takes place. For foreigners to register their marriage in Thailand, the following are required: 1. A certificate provided by the Embassy of the foreigner’s home country that proves the applicants are not already married. This certificate must be translated and the translation must be verified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Thailand. 2. Both the bride’s and groom’s passports must be shown to the interviewing officer at the District Office and a copy of each must be submitted with the application. 3. Both a translator and a witness must be present at the interview.

  • Answered on Monday, January 22, 2001 | 08:15 AM
    An Officer of the Marriage Certificate Section, Kathu District Office
Send a letter about this Issue & Answer