Permission to set up event tents along the road

I often see people set up tents in the middle of major roadways to hold events like funeral memorial services, alms offering and so on. They also do this for the Vegetarian Festival. As this would never be allowed in my country, I would like to set up a “road party” during my stay here and get all my neighbors tipsy. Is a foreigner allowed to do this? Do I need permission? Where do I apply? Is there a fee?

  • Asked on Thursday, November 15, 2012 | 03:56 PM
    Jonas Stalking, Kathu

You have to submit an official letter to your local administration organization (OrBorJor) to request permission to set up a service on the roadways.

Foreigners are allowed to set up this type of service, but permission will be granted based on how necessary the service is.

If you are in our area [Kathu], you will need to come see us in person to submit your letter and describe where you would like to set up your service, what it will be like and when it will be.

We will let you know if you have permission to hold the service within seven days of you submitting your letter.

Normally you do not have to pay any fee to the municipality. However, we have to see what your service is going to be like to make the final decision, because if we have to clean up the area after your service you’ll probably have to pay a fee.

Please come and see us at the Kathu Municipality building any time Monday – Friday 8:30am – 4:30pm so we can sort out all of the details for the service. For more information you can call us at 076-321405.

  • Answered on Thursday, November 15, 2012 | 03:56 PM
    Kathu Municipality, Municipal official Chief Chinnadit Tantipanwadee.
Send a letter about this Issue & Answer