Re-registering a car in a different province

In the next few months I hope to hand over my 10-year-old car to the folks of my girlfriend. As far as all the official documentation is concerned, what needs to be done when re-registering a car in a different province?

  • Asked on Thursday, November 22, 2012 | 02:25 PM
    David Kirk, Phuket

In the case of transferring a car to another person and re-registering it in a different province the procedure is as follows:

As a foreigner, you must submit a copy of your passport to the Provisional Land Transport Office.

In the case that the transferee is a Thai national, a copy of the identity card will suffice.

If both you and the transferee are foreigners, you both must submit copies of a valid work permit, along with proof of residence which can be obtained from the Immigration Office.

In the case that either you or the and transferee are unavailable, then both parties must have a signed Power of Attorney document.

You must complete the Vehicle Transfer Form. This can be downloaded from the Department of Land transport website (Thai) or collected from our office.

The vehicle will have to be inspected by our office staff, after which all relevant documentation can be submitted to the registration department.

This process will be done in one day and costs about 105 baht.

The new owner can then re-register the vehicle with the PLTO in the province where the vehicle is to be kept.

  • Answered on Thursday, November 22, 2012 | 02:25 PM
    Phuket Provincial Land Transport Officer.
Send a letter about this Issue & Answer