Work permit for permanent resident

Does a foreigner who is recognized by the Immigration Department as a permanent resident and has his name on a tabien baan (house registration document) need a work permit in order to work? If the answer is yes, does being married to a Thai national have any bearing? Does his wife need to form a registered company to employ him, or can she just run an ordinary unincorporated business?

  • Asked on Thursday, February 22, 2001 | 11:52 PM
    Guenter Bellach, Thalang

Yes, you must have a work permit, even if you want to work with your wife. She must set up a limited company or limited partnership – an unincorporated business may not employ foreigners. A marriage certificate that proves you are married to a Thai may be included among the documentation you provide.

  • Answered on Thursday, February 22, 2001 | 11:52 PM
    Wassana Thongsakul, Assistant Chief Officer, Phuket Employment Service Office
Send a letter about this Issue & Answer