Driving into Thailand

My Thai wife and I often drive to Thailand in a car registered in Malaysia. Is she allowed to drive a car with foreign plates in Thailand? She has an international driving license that was issued in the US.

  • Asked on Thursday, April 12, 2001 | 06:39 AM
    Frank Van hanegem, Kuala Lumpur.

To drive legally in Thailand you must have either an international driving license or a Thai driving license. To bring your car into Thailand, you must first prove to Malaysian Immigration that you own the car. They will then give you a permit that will allow you to take the car out of Malaysia. This permit must be shown to the Thai immigration officer when you enter Thailand.

  • Answered on Thursday, April 12, 2001 | 06:39 AM
    Alisara Aumlaor, Phuket Provincial Transportation Office.
Send a letter about this Issue & Answer