Foreign children born in Thailand

We are an English couple who live in Phuket and, all being well, our child will be born here later this year. What rights do we and the child have with regard to Thai law and citizenship?

  • Asked on Tuesday, May 15, 2001 | 11:50 PM
    Nick Holland, Patong

If neither of the parents is Thai, then your child will not get Thai nationality – the child will have the same nationality as the parents. You should contact the consular section of the British Embassy to find out about the documentation required to register the child as a British citizen. The British Embassy number is 02-2530191, or visit the website at

  • Answered on Tuesday, May 15, 2001 | 11:50 PM
    Consular Office, British Embassy, Bangkok.
Send a letter about this Issue & Answer