Laws on fixed-gear motorbikes

Does Thai law require “rot pop” (fixed-gear motorbikes, typically with engines of less than 50cc), to have a license plate? Is a driver’s license required in order to drive one?

  • Asked on Thursday, July 12, 2001 | 01:22 AM
    Sara Ceedigh, Patong.

Any person riding a motorbike of any kind on a public road must have a driving license. But a person riding a “rot pop” on a public road will be charged with riding an illegal motorbike.

  • Answered on Thursday, July 12, 2001 | 01:23 AM
    Pol Cpl Rachan Kamrai, Muang District Police Station.

No. Thai law does not require such motorbikes to be registered. Only motorbikes bigger than 50cc are required to be registered and insured. However, fixed-gear motorbikes may be ridden only around the village. It is illegal to ride them on public roads.

  • Answered on Thursday, July 12, 2001 | 01:22 AM
    Registration Officer, Phuket Provincial Transportation Office.
Send a letter about this Issue & Answer