Obtaining child support from missing father

A friend in Phuket is pregnant and, apparently, the father is a foreign serviceman. If the father doesn’t live up to his paternal responsibilities, what legal recourse does my friend have to force him to financially support their child? Are there any “Status of Forces” arrangements that could help her situation?

  • Asked on Friday, December 7, 2001 | 11:07 AM
    Stephen Vandale, San Diego.

First, your friend will have to apply to the Family Court for the serviceman to be legally recognized as the father of the child. Once this is done, your friend can petition the Family Court for him to pay child support. If the father is not in Thailand, the court will liaise with the appropriate Embassy in determining if it is possible to force the father to pay child support.

  • Answered on Friday, December 7, 2001 | 11:07 AM
    Nakin Themrat, Senior Partner, International Law Office.
Send a letter about this Issue & Answer