Thai children’s passport

I have a Thai girlfriend who has an 11-year-old daughter. The girl’s father is a Thai man who they haven’t been in contact with for at least three years. The daughter has her father’s surname. Can I take my girlfriend and her daughter to Denmark for a two-month holiday without the father’s permission? Can my girlfriend’s daughter get a passport?

  • Asked on Friday, December 28, 2001 | 07:21 PM
    Henning Rasmussen, Denmark.

As the daughter has her father’s surname, this means that her parents were married. If they are not divorced, we will need both her mother’s and her father’s written approval before she can be issued with a passport. If they are divorced, we will need to verify who has been named as the daughter’s legal guardian on the divorce papers. If the mother is the guardian, then it isn’t necessary to have the father’s approval.

  • Answered on Friday, December 28, 2001 | 07:21 PM
    Chief of the Passport Division, Southern Thailand, Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Send a letter about this Issue & Answer