One-year permit to stay

I am married to a Thai man and have a one-year permit to stay based on this fact. I have found a job and have been issued with a work permit. I read recently in the Gazette that it is possible to work in Thailand and receive a salary of less than 35,000 baht [in the case of a Swedish citizen, which I am], but that this means one cannot obtain a one-year permit. My permit to stay is not based on the fact that I work, but on the fact that I am married to a Thai. Does this mean...

  • Asked on Monday, February 2, 2004 | 03:24 PM
    Sara Ceedigh.

The regulations for considering a one-year permit for a foreign woman, based on marriage to a Thai, are different from those for a man applying on the basis of being married to a Thai woman. In the foreign man’s case, it is more complicated – we take his salary into consideration. In the case of a foreign woman, however, the salary is irrelevant to the qualifications for a one-year permit.

  • Answered on Monday, February 2, 2004 | 03:24 PM
    Pol Capt Krissarat Nuesen, Deputy Inspector, Phuket Provincial Immigration Office (PPIO).
Send a letter about this Issue & Answer