Two ‘visas’ are not better than one

I have a multiple-entry non-immigrant O visa that was issued in Sweden. It expires on August 17 and cost me 5,000 baht. I also have an extended permit to stay valid until September 29 that cost 1,850 baht, plus 2,700 baht for official certification of my pension documents. In addition, I have a multiple re-entry permit that is valid until September 29 and cost 3,800 baht. So far, all these stamps have cost me 13,350 baht. When I left Thailand recently, then returned, the Satun Immigration Office stamped the date of my return next to the non-immigrant visa, not next to the...

  • Asked on Friday, February 20, 2004 | 01:49 PM
    Ingvar Ohrn, Chalong.

In this case, you effectively have two visas valid at the same time. If you wanted to use the re-entry permit, you should have pointed it out to the immigration officer. The officer could not be expected to know that a traveler has both a multiple-entry visa and a re-entry permit valid at the same time As you have a multiple-entry visa valid until August 17, you can enter Thailand as many times as you like up to and including that date, without having a re-entry permit. However, after August 17 you are permitted to stay in Thailand until September 29. If you leave Thailand before September 29, you will need your re-entry permit to come back into Thailand without having to get a new visa. Please note that if you are aiming to apply for residency, you will first need to have been issued a one-year permit to stay for three consecutive years. If you are staying in Thailand on a one-year permit to stay and then leave the country without a re-entry permit, you will need to obtain a new visa to re-enter Thailand and you will have to apply for a new one-year permit to stay when you return, and start the whole process again. Incidentally, the correct fee for an extension to stay is 1,900 baht, not 1,850 baht. It is not refundable.

  • Answered on Friday, February 20, 2004 | 01:49 PM
    Pol Capt Krissarat Nuesen, Deputy Inspector, Phuket Provincial Immigration Office.
Send a letter about this Issue & Answer