Transfering stamps to new passports

I entered Thailand on 18 May, 2002 on a non-immigrant O-A (long stay) visa, and I am currently staying on a one-year extension to stay that will expire on May 18 this year. I also have a multiple re-entry permit that will expire on the same date. My British passport will expire in two years’ time. What I must do to remain in Thailand on future extensions to stay after my current passport expires?

  • Asked on Wednesday, April 7, 2004 | 04:41 PM
    Roger Neill, Rawai.

It would be best if you renewed your passport before the extension to stay expires. Thai Immigration will not issue any permits to people with passports that will expire within six months. If your passport is valid for more than six months but less than a year, Immigration will issue permits valid only to the date that the passport expires. For example, say your passport will expire on December 31 this year. If you apply for another one-year extension to stay to continue from May 19 this year, and your application is approved, you will be issued an extension to stay valid only until December 31. After you have been issued with a new passport, bring to the Phuket Provincial Immigration Office (PPIO) both your old passport, with the current extension to stay and the multiple re-entry permit, and your new passport, and we will transfer both permits into your new passport – free of charge.

  • Answered on Wednesday, April 7, 2004 | 04:41 PM
    Pol Capt Krissarat Nuesen, PPIO.
Send a letter about this Issue & Answer