Rules for boundary walls or fences

I recently read your Issue and Answer about earth retaining walls [ ]. What rules apply to building boundary walls around my property?

  • Asked on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 | 10:53 AM
    Randall Jennings, Chalong.

Before you build a fence or wall around your property you must first have permission from the local Tambon Administration Organization (OrBorTor) or from the local municipality (tessabaan) to ensure that it will not contravene the Building Control Act. A fence or wall that runs along the boundary with public land must not be over three meters tall, and before you build a fence or a wall along any other boundary, if it will encroach on any part of the adjacent lot, you must first have written permission from the owner of that lot. If the land next door is private, there is no limit to the height of the wall or fence you may apply for, though the local authority has the power to restrict the height to which you may build. If a wall is built in violation of any regulations, the OrBorTor or municipality office will tell you by letter to dismantle it. If you do not do so, they will dismantle it and charge the cost to you. If the wall or fence you propose to build doesn’t contradict any regulations, the officers must grant your application. If your application is denied because the officer processing it claims that the wall or fence will contravene regulations, you have 30 days to appeal the decision by filing a complaint with the OrBorTor or the local municipality where you applied. They will have to hand over the complaint to the provincial government’s Complaints Consideration Committee, which comprises the Phuket Governor, the chief of the Phuket Public Works and Town Planning Office, the Phuket Attorney General and other officers, within 30 days. The Complaints Consideration Committee has 60 days to inform you of their decision. If you believe your application was denied for unlawful reasons, you can file a complaint with the Damrongtham Center [at the Provincial Hall on Narisorn Rd, Phuket City. Tel: 076-213203] or with the National Counter Corruption Commission in Bangkok. If you have further questions or need help in resolving an issue about a wall, contact your local authority.

  • Answered on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 | 10:53 AM
    Tawee Homhuan, Engineer, Phuket Public Works and Town and Country Planning Office.
Send a letter about this Issue & Answer