Common law marriages and visas

I am looking to retire in Phuket on a non-immigrant visa. I am over 50 and meet all the financial criteria. I note that a foreign retiree married to a foreigner may apply to include his or her spouse on the non-immigrant visa.

I am a British man and my spouse is Filipina. We have been together for a number of years. In our current country of residence, Singapore, our common-law status was recognized following a statutory declaration witnessed by a notary public and an endorsment letter to that effect from the British Consulate.

Our question: would the same procedure be acceptable proof of marriage...

  • Asked on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 | 05:25 PM
    Brian Evans, Singapore.

The common-law wife status declaration as described in your query will not be recognized by Immigration for the purpose of obtaining a one-year dependent visa.

Only a legally married spouse may be granted a dependent visa under a spouse’s retirement visa. In Thailand, only a marriage certificate may be used for this purpose.

  • Answered on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 | 05:25 PM
    Friedrich Fauma, Senior Partner of Phuket International Law Office.
Send a letter about this Issue & Answer