Extending tourist visas

I have visited Phuket every year for the past 10 years on 30-day tourist visas but I have decided to spend longer on my next visit. 

However, an application for a three-month tourist visa would necessitate me travelling to London twice to visit the Thai Consulate in order to complete my application for a visa – they do not accept postal applications.

Is there any means by which I can enter Thailand on a 30-day tourist visa, and then extend it?

  • Asked on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 | 05:31 PM
    Paul Johns, UK.

That depends on how long you want to stay. See www.phuketgazette.net/issuesanswers/details.asp?id=567 for an explanation of how to get a 10-day extension without leaving Phuket.

To stay longer, you can do a “visa hop” into either Myanmar or Malaysia and come back in again, which will give you another 30 days. There are several companies that organise visa hops - transport, food, etc (search in our online Gazette Guide for “visa”). Visa hops to Myanmar take one day only.

If you prefer to get the visa before you come to Thailand, you should also note that in addition to the London embassy, Thailand has consulates in Liverpool, Birmingham, Hull, Cardiff and Glasgow. See http://www.thailand-uk.com/thaiemb.html for contact details.

  • Answered on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 | 05:31 PM
    The Phuket Gazette.
Send a letter about this Issue & Answer