How can I make my motorcycle legal?

I bought a secondhand motorbike in January 2004 and I received the green log book, photocopies of the previous owner’s identification papers and a signed consent form.

When my girlfriend checked the logbook, though, she noticed that the bike was registered as red, although the bike I had bought was blue.

She told me that I couldn’t have this information changed, but the previous owner could. So I took the log book back to the previous owner, who agreed to change the colour for me.

Unfortunately, I haven’t seen him since (I believe he has left Phuket). Now, my tax and insurance discs have run out, but...

  • Asked on Tuesday, November 16, 2004 | 03:41 PM
    Mr J, Karon.

You should bring a copy of the previous owner’s ID card, the signed consent form, including the contract of sale, your passport, your work permit and confirmation of your address in Phuket (ask at the Immigration Office for this) to the PPTO.

If you bring all these documents, you should be able to declare the old log book lost and at the same time change the documentation regarding the motorbike’s color.

  • Answered on Tuesday, November 16, 2004 | 03:41 PM
    Teerayuth Prasertphol, Chief Technical Officer of the Phuket Provincial Transportation Office (PPTO).

Traffic police have the authority to fine people at their discretion. According to Thai law, anyone who has a vehicle that is not taxed can be fined up to 2,000 baht, and up to 10,000 baht if the vehicle is not insured.

The Department of Insurance at the Ministry of Commerce has been recommending to police stations that they adopt a set 500 baht fine for a first offence, but the final decision lies with each police station.

  • Answered on Tuesday, November 16, 2004 | 03:41 PM
    Pol Lt Sutham Rattanasawangwong, Deputy of Traffic Police of Chalong Police Station.
Send a letter about this Issue & Answer