Who will pay to repair my motorbike?

I recently was involved in an accident with a Thai man on a motorcycle on Chao Fa West Rd, not far from the PTT gas station.

Immediately after the accident, we stood by the side of the road and talked about it. The other party said that it was not his own motorcycle, that he had no driving license, no indicators and no money, but that he was really sorry.

Because he was injured, I agreed for him to go home to clean himself up. While he was gone, I waited for a policeman to come along; I could not call the police because...

  • Asked on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 | 03:53 PM
    Richard Market, Chalong.

You can have your motorbike repaired immediately. It is best to take photos of the damaged parts before and after the repairs. However, you will have to pay for the repairs yourself and then file a civil case in court against the owner of the other motorbike. If you know who the driver was, you can also file for damages against him. This would involve hiring a lawyer to find out who the owner of the motorbike is and to file the case in court. You are entitled to file for damages for your actual expenses only.

  • Answered on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 | 03:53 PM
    Adisorn Chanta, Lawyer, International Law Office, Patong Beach.
Send a letter about this Issue & Answer