Filing for divorce

I was married to a Thai citizen in Bangkok in January 2004 before we both moved to the UK. My wife has since returned to Thailand. How can I find out if she has filed for divorce, and is it possible to do so from the UK? Would it also be possible to object to the divorce from the UK?

  • Asked on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 | 11:01 AM
    Divorcee? Stevenage, UK.

Under Thai law we accept divorce filings only if filed by both husband and wife. This means that your wife cannot apply for divorce without your signature.

If either partner does not agree to divorce, then a petition for divorce can be filed with the court.

In your case, if your wife files for divorce without your consent, you will receive a letter from the court requesting your presence for the divorce proceedings.

Once you have received this letter, if you so wish, you can file your objection to the divorce with court in Thailand while you are still in the UK.

  • Answered on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 | 11:01 AM
    Suksan Siang-Eak, Chief Registrar at Kathu District Office.
Send a letter about this Issue & Answer