PHUKET: Rising property prices, poor public planning and a dire lack of public transport options have combined to leave Phuket with a lack of public parking in some of its most densely-settled areas.

In few places is the problem more acute than in shopping center parking garages. While some are better than others, the traffic nightmare that persists in some, during peak hours, indicates that the prevailing logic is “never turn away a customer” – even when the garage itself is already dangerously beyond capacity.

Viewing the situation through a more cynical prism, perhaps the management logic is that allowing multi-dimensional gridlock to persist is the perfect way to create a “captive market”.

Whether the situation is the result of incompetence or greed, we ask operators of these facilities to reconsider the impact on consumers, who can and will go elsewhere.

Tales of parking garage woe are common in popular blog sites, but these are probably just the tip of the iceberg.

This editorial writer has already suffered ruination of two shopping trips this month as the result of garage mismanagement. The first involved getting trapped in the basement of a parking garage at a large retail complex in Patong for 45 minutes, all of which was spent jockeying for position with other drivers – all angry, aggressive and desperate to make an exit. Worse, staff there refused to open a second available exit to alleviate the problem, even for customers holding free parking vouchers, because “the computer there is broke”, we were told.

A week later we arrived at a well-known mall in Muang District with tickets in hand for the movie The Impossible, only to miss almost half of the film because someone had given up, parked illegally, pulled the key from the ignition, locked the doors and abandoned his vehicle in the midst of the impenetrable gridlock.

That the parking facility in question already employs one ill-tempered man to maneuver about the garage with a car forklift says a great deal about the number of people who do the exact same thing – simply give up and abandon ship.

The Phuket Gazette fails to understand how such situations are allowed to develop or persist. Each garage has a finite number of spaces and computer-equipped staff at both entrances and exits to monitor the number of passing vehicles. Even if the employees’ reasoning abilities have been severely compromised by exposure to carbon monoxide, it should be simple enough to program a computer to automatically drop a gate at the entrance and post a sign reading “Sorry, parking lot full. No entry” after a certain, safe number of cars has been reached.

As some malls appear unwilling or unable to properly manage their parking facilities, the Gazette calls upon the Phuket Provincial Office to better enforce existing safety regulations, to ensure that the retailers do a better job of acting in their customers’ – and therefore their own – best interests.
– Phuket Gazette

Nobody cares and nobody will listen...You should know this by now.

Posted by Ted December 16, 2012 08:52:05AM

Funny story, so sad it must be true!
One reason I love my motorbike, the small one that is more of a motor scooter, is that I can actually get to where I am going when I want to be there regardless of the drivers of the mass hunk of steel with wheels!
And they really have a fork lift for cars parked illegally?
That is such a hoot! Who drives that?

Posted by James Bond December 16, 2012 09:54:33AM

Second from last paragraph: "Even if the employees’ reasoning abilities have been severely compromised by exposure to carbon monoxide"...LOL

Posted by Big Bernie December 16, 2012 10:06:02AM

If some drivers could understand directional arrows in car parks it might help alleviate the situation. Parking in no parking areas is second nature here and I have lost count of the times I have been unable to move my car from its parking place because of a carelessly parked vehicle in the way.

Posted by Peter December 16, 2012 10:10:22AM

You want parking?...Get rid of the tuk-tuks.

Posted by Sky December 16, 2012 11:53:56AM

"... It should be simple enough to program a computer to automatically drop a gate at the entrance and post a sign reading “Sorry, parking lot full. No entry” ..."

That works fine at Robinson department store.

Posted by Chas December 16, 2012 01:54:20PM

To me, the hardest part of doing business in Asia is breaking the tradition of laziness and sloppy work.

The hardest part of parking is breaking the culture of free parking.
Charge for it at 50 baht an hour after ten minutes give enforceable tickets to parking violators then watch it stop...oops I am dreaming.

Posted by A Williams December 17, 2012 05:58:17AM

In some parking garages in Malaysia, such as the Gurney mall in Penang, there is automated gate control entry to the parking garage.

If the garage is full it will not allow entry. Once access is gained there are red and green lights over each parking space to indicate where a free space exists. Just look for the green light and you have your parking space. It works beautifully.

Of course, this doesn’t solve the lack of parking spaces.

Posted by Parking Space Cadet December 17, 2012 08:53:56AM

Regarding the parking issues I just have to add this comment:

I just came back from the Beach Road where I tried to find parking for my motorbike to visit the show. Me and my wife had to return home after been denied parking despite a lot of free areas. Obviously about 50 private owned Thai cars took up half of the road. The rest inside the road was booked for only Thais.

Are this island think [sic] before I leave or not.

Posted by One Expat 12 years December 17, 2012 10:01:00PM

Regarding the parking issues I just have to add this comment:

Are this island think [sic] before I leave or not.

Posted by One Expat 12 years December 17, 2012 10:01:00PM

Of course, this doesn’t solve the lack of parking spaces.

Posted by Parking Space Cadet December 17, 2012 08:53:56AM

The hardest part of parking is breaking the culture of free parking.

Posted by A Williams December 17, 2012 05:58:17AM

That works fine at Robinson department store.

Posted by Chas December 16, 2012 01:54:20PM

You want parking?...Get rid of the tuk-tuks.

Posted by Sky December 16, 2012 11:53:56AM

Posted by Peter December 16, 2012 10:10:22AM

Posted by Big Bernie December 16, 2012 10:06:02AM

Funny story, so sad it must be true!
And they really have a fork lift for cars parked illegally?
That is such a hoot! Who drives that?

Posted by James Bond December 16, 2012 09:54:33AM

Nobody cares and nobody will listen...You should know this by now.

Posted by Ted December 16, 2012 08:52:05AM