PHUKET: I didn’t know what the Thai Watsadu superstore in Thalang sold when I pulled into the parking lot over the weekend, but I wasn’t there to shop in any case. I went just to enjoy the parking lot, which I had admired from the road. It’s completely covered, offering protection rain or shine, and very well laid out.

That I could be lured by a parking lot says something about the state of parking in Phuket.

One of the first things I had to do as a new driver on the island was get over my reticence to park unconventionally. My Thai friends guided me.

Of yellow and white striped curbs, one smilingly said, “That means parking is up to you!”

Another, spying a metal barrier reserving a space in front of a shop in Phuket Town, ordered me to jump out and move it so we could take the spot. “It’s fine!” she shouted.

When a security guard told a third friend that we had parked in a no-parking zone, she responded that we’d just be a minute, when in fact we were on our way to lunch.

Over time, I’ve developed my own solutions to the parking challenges here. Everyone knows that the HomeWorks lot is an alternative to the claustrophobic underbelly of Central Festival, but how many have thought of parking behind Big C and walking over?

At the airport, I go to the row nearest the street, find one of the ever-friendly security guards stationed there, and ask where to park. They’re invariably helpful and once one jumped on a motorbike to lead me to a spot. A double-parking spot, of course. Taxis and tour vans occupy the preponderance of the actual spots.

Even where spaces are relatively easy to find, hidden obstacles may await. I scraped a friend’s new car as I was parallel parking in Phuket Town. I didn’t see the power pole protruding into the street.

Parking lots tend to be unsightly and environmentally unhealthy, but in Phuket they have a strange allure.

I didn’t buy anything at Thai Watsadu that day, but I went inside, and next time I need a 100-gallon water tank, a Jacuzzi or just cleaning supplies, I may very well swing by, secure in the knowledge that I’ll find a cool spot to park my car.
– Leslie Porterfield

It really must be a very slow news day to have an article on parking. We have two (2) journalists on Phuket charged with defamation and breaking the Computer Crimes Act; yet here "parking" is more important than freedom of speech and freedom of the press. Something very wrong here.

Posted by watchdsi December 22, 2013 08:32:27PM

Superstores are the exception, but generally speaking, pedestrians and parking just don't mix with Phuket's building permit free-for-all. I worry what this place will look like a decade from now if the "build what you like where you like" attitude continues.

Posted by Hector December 23, 2013 01:13:46AM

Posted by watchdsi

Maybe the author of the parking story wrote her piece – which I, as a driver in Phuket found quite interesting – abut 10 days before the two "journalists" launched their PR stunt? Would that be possible, Khun Watchdsi? I first read the story in the December 14 issue of the PG, so it would have been written at least a few days before that, don't you think? Duhhhhh.

Posted by Henry Barton December 24, 2013 10:47:30AM

Posted by Henry Barton December 24, 2013 10:49:29AM

Posted by Henry Barton

Khun Henry... duhhh, please stick to the facts, as published. I too am a driver and quite frankly, I don't give a damn about the parking at Thai Watsadu, is does me no good if shopping anywhere else, as I said, there must be more to report than waste space reporting on a parking lot. This simply is NOT news.

Posted by watchdsi December 24, 2013 12:10:11PM

Posted by Henry Barton

Posted by watchdsi

I don't think it`s being presented as news, watchdsi, which is why it goes under the heading "Phuket Opinion". I found it interesting, though. This is Phuket, watchdsi. Grab yourself a beer and try to lighten up a bit.

Posted by Hector December 24, 2013 05:00:13PM

Posted by Henry Barton

Posted by Hector

:)) Poor ole 'watchdsi' does have some issues, but I guess he's entitled to his opinions too, even without an understanding as to how newspapers present their content (in various sections, etc).

Posted by Jao December 24, 2013 05:31:47PM

Hector and Jao, I understand what both of you are saying. However, firstly, as I said previously, there must be more important news. I said this because this article was presented as the "lead" story, hardly what anyone would consider it to be. General interest, yes; a lead story NO. TBC.

Posted by watchdsi December 26, 2013 11:07:32AM

Secondly, as I pointed out, two island journalist [sic] had been charge [sic] with defamation, OK, they are from a competing on-line news blog, but surely, freedom of speech and the freedom or [sic] the press should transcend the pettiness of competition.

Posted by watchdsi December 26, 2013 11:13:25AM

Posted by watchdsi

This story was never a lead story. It was on page 19 of the newspaper. That is not where lead stories appear, watchdsi. And page 19 in the PG is an OPINION page, not a news page. Do your homework before commenting.

Posted by Jao December 26, 2013 12:53:47PM

Posted by Jao

Jao, I am NOT referring to the printed news, I'm referring to this online news, did I say ANYTHING about the print news, NO! Stay with what's online, if I want to say anything about the PRINTED news I will mention the date it was published. Have I got through your thick head now? Why would I buy a printed newspaper, when the news can be a week old, come to think of it, some news on here is at times old, but free.

Posted by watchdsi December 26, 2013 03:28:53PM

Back to topic: I wouldn't move a metal barrier, like I wouldn't park in the 'TukTuk/TaxI' occupied or claimed area. same reasons. Even if it's obvious, that blocking parts of a public road can be done only by police or government orders!

Posted by AFriend December 26, 2013 03:41:33PM

Posted by Jao

Posted by watchdsi

Sir: you are drowning in your ignorance. Why not just admit your errors and get out before you look any sillier. READ the headline in the story, check your dictionary for the word 'opinion', and decide whether it was a news story or not.

Posted by Ardeth December 26, 2013 04:36:22PM

Posted by Jao

Posted by Ardeth

Ardeth, I don't understand why some people, like yourself, can not read and comprehend, my comment is related to this onsite article, and its news worthiness compared with more important/interesting news. Now you point out that it's someone's "opinion" fair enough, but that doesn't make it a lead story as it was published, on this ONLINE blog. I do not care if it was on another page in the "printed" version.

Posted by watchdsi December 26, 2013 07:35:14PM

Posted by Jao

Posted by Ardeth

Posted by watchdsi

You are beginning to bore our readers with this pointless argument and your insistence on comparing apples (opinion) with pears (news). So this will be your final comment on the matter.

Posted by Editor, Gazette Online December 26, 2013 08:12:45PM