PHUKET: Work on the 70-million-baht Chalong Bay Marina project is now about 90% complete and should be finished early in the new year, officials say.

Phuriphat Teerakulpisut, Chief of the Marine Department Region 5 office in Phuket Town, said opening of the 44-slip facility will improve the island’s ability to accommodate the growing number of yachts that port in Phuket or visit the island.

Once completed, the project will be turned over to the Treasury Department and then the Phuket Provincial Administration Organization (OrBorJor), which already oversees operation of the existing Chalong Pier and related facilities, he said.

“The one-stop service center will offer a variety of services including an Immigration arrivals and departure checkpoint, Customs and Immigration offices, a Marine Department Office and improved facilities for tourists, many of whom already use Chalong Pier to travel to other islands in and around Phuket,” he added.

However, Mr Phuriphat expressed disappointment that plans to build a much larger, 200-slip facility in Chalong Bay failed due to lack of funding and “other problems” [including strong local resistance and a public hearing process – Ed].

The number of yachts visiting Phuket is now at a record high, but the five existing marinas on the island can only accommodate a maximum of about 1,000 boats at a time. Some 2,000 vessels currently clear customs and immigration at Chalong Pier [a year], he said.

Lack of facilities or a clear policy to further develop Phuket as a marine tourism destination could result in a loss of “quality tourists” to rival destinations in Singapore, Malaysia and especially Vietnam, he added.

To help solve the problem, his office has requested a 6 million baht budget in fiscal 2012 to sink 300 more moorings: 200 in Chalong Bay and 100 at Ao Por. If approved, the project will reduce coral reef destruction caused by anchors, better organize movement of vessels and increase government control, safety and security in these areas, he said.
– Phuket Gazette

The coral reef in Chalong Bay! It is mud! The last time somebody laid moorings they all washed away in a storm. Besides, anybody who keeps a boat there would not use a mooring laid by someone who knows nothing about moorings. I am a boat owner and I have my own mooring which I know is reliable and strong.

Posted by steve, b. December 21, 2011 12:12:36PM

Will the 3 Marine Police Patrol Boats be relocated from Rassada Pier to Chalong Bay? Definitely, all yachties would be happy to have some Marine Police Officers on duty 24/7 to protect their yachts against the thugs who steal valuable equipment at night.

Posted by Whistle-Blower December 21, 2011 02:16:28PM

Posted by steve, b.

I agree 100%. Frankly, the Harbour Department did it more than 10 years ago and all moorings were broken or stolen within a few months. A job done by a non-sailor is useless, especially when boat owners are not consulted about what is going on.

Posted by Whistle-Blower December 21, 2011 04:24:16PM

It would be amazing to actually have a real fuel dock that can accommodate more than 2 boats at 1 time. The way it is now is just a joke compared to other Asian ports.

Posted by steve December 21, 2011 07:36:10PM

Posted by steve

I again agree with you. The pier was financed by the Central Government and given for free to the OrBorJor to manage. We had many meetings with the OrBorJor and Khun Paitoon but they did not focus on what the boat operators want. Hopeless situation.

Posted by Whistle-Blower December 22, 2011 11:15:17AM

I have to say, it is still better then Indonesia where I operate my other boat. There you have to pay an agent just to get fuel and a port clearance to drive the boat 200 meters to the fuel dock. Cheers and merry x'mas.

Posted by stev December 23, 2011 08:21:06AM

Posted by stev

Comparing services with another less developed country in SE-Asia such as Indonesia does not help much. I Would have liked a country like Singapore which has the best organization in services in SE-Asia.

Phuket has to compete to be the best tourism service provider in SE-Asia for hotel, tour and yachting industries and avoid to compete to be better than the worst service providers in SE-Asia such as Indonesia.

Posted by Whistle-Blower January 2, 2012 11:05:41AM

Posted by stev

Posted by Whistle-Blower

I agree, wish that was the case..happy new year.. hope the new marina is finished this year..

Posted by steve January 3, 2012 11:19:03AM