PHUKET: Phuket’s holiday road toll stands at eight accidents with no deaths reported after Day One of the Seven Days of Danger national road safety campaign, which began yesterday.

The statistics, being compiled by the Phuket office of the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DDPM), list four accidents occurring in Phuket Town, two in Kathu and two in Thalang.

Six of the accidents involved motorcycles, one involved a pickup and the other involved “another type of vehicle”.

All across Phuket last night police manned checkpoints to curtail drunk driving and to enforce helmet use and other traffic laws.

At the bus station on Phang Nga Road in Phuket Town, every bus driver must pass a breath-alcohol test before getting behind the wheel.

Conducting the breath tests are officers from DDPM Phuket, the Phuket Provincial Land Transport Office (PLTO) and the Phuket Provincial Health Office (PPHO).

The officers have set up a 24-hour counter to provide coffee, water, candies, hand fans, first aid and even blood-pressure checks – to anyone.

Inspecting the breath-test “checkpoint” in person today, Phuket Governor Tri Augkaradacha said, “We set up this ‘checkpoint’ to ensure drivers don’t drink and drive. I am pleased to say that no drivers have failed a breath test and all passenger buses are in good condition.”

PLTO Chief Kanok Siripanichkorn assured travellers that there will be ample buses to carry them home during the annual exodus as extra services have been scheduled.

“Ticket officers have told me there are still seats available on most regular scheduled buses, but extra buses are ready in case they are needed,” he said.

Chief Kanok added that in the weeks leading up to the holidays, from December 8 to 28, there were about 8,000 buses heading out of Phuket to take more than 200,000 passengers home.

He also reminded people of the following emergency numbers:

– 1669 (PPHO hotline) to report any kind of accidents
– 1584 (PLTO hotline) for travel information or to complain about problems with bus services
– 1784 (DDPM hotline) to report disasters, such as floods and landslides, or any kind of accident.
– Pimwara Choksakulpan

Those breathalyzers look new, almost as if they've never been used. At least it's nice to see they know which end to blow in. I can hear the conversations now..."Oh great, we got new batons;, no, wait, are these tazers? Are there any batteries in these? Do these even NEED batteries? Where's the power button? I can't read the numbers; they're in Swahili."

Posted by tonglen December 30, 2010 08:42:38PM

At least it is a start. Give 'em some credit when due. Hope that future safety ideas that are implemented in other countries will gradually be phased in. Of course it will take some Thai Time. Happy New Year to all. Take a taxi if drunk; watch out for dodgy passers and wear seatbelts and helmets. Don't drive too fast and have a better chance to arrive alive.

Posted by Donny December 31, 2010 08:49:59AM

Again fake. Come on, 360 days they do nothing and now they get in the newspapers that they are finally doing their jobs. What a joke.

Posted by Hans December 31, 2010 09:05:18AM

Posted by tonglen

So is there anything about Phuket, or any progress here, that you do like, Tonglen? How dare they have the affrontery to try to improve things.

Editor: I'm surprised you allow this sort of thing to be posted.

Posted by Mister Ree December 31, 2010 11:34:52AM

tonglen, you and your razor wit should be on the stage.

Posted by boring December 31, 2010 01:27:19PM

Posted by tonglen

Editor: I'm surprised you allow this sort of thing to be posted.

Posted by Mister Ree

Me thinks tonglen wrote it at least half in jest. But even if not, it doesn't exclude the possibility that tonglen acknowledges progress.

Posted by Editor, Gazette Online December 31, 2010 04:08:23PM

Posted by tonglen

Editor: I'm surprised you allow this sort of thing to be posted.

Posted by Mister Ree

"Affrontery", you say? Oooh, good scrabble word. Calm down, Mister Ree. I love this place, absolutely love it. Actually, I love the entire country, not just Phuket. The thing you, I and everyone else CAN agree on is that some things need improvement, like any country. Right? So don't get your thong in a bunch.

Posted by tonglen December 31, 2010 09:45:03PM

Posted by tonglen

Editor: I'm surprised you allow this sort of thing to be posted.

Posted by Mister Ree

Posted by Editor, Gazette Online

Looking for a laugh, Ed, thats all. Sometimes people dont get that, but c'est la vie, Mister Ree. Totally in jest... almost totally in jest. Jesting to the tune of 90%, that is. Some good things in the paper this week: rest stops with foot rubs and putting greens, no deaths as of yet, new breathalyzers, honest tuk-tuk driver, baby saved from almost certain death... all good news!

Posted by tonglen December 31, 2010 09:59:10PM

Posted by tonglen

Editor: I'm surprised you allow this sort of thing to be posted.

Posted by Mister Ree

Posted by Editor, Gazette Online

One more thing I feel I must make clear, Ed: When I had a go at the above situation, I was NOT poking at the police entirely. Yes, I feel that there needs to be more enforcement, but I digress. Usually, the fodder provided for some comedic discussion is the "higher-ups". For example, from the "drug sniffing" batons to electronic bomb detectors to a tsunami buoy out of batteries.... I'm having a jab at bureaucracy first and foremost. Have a safe remaining 7 days, Editors!

Posted by tonglen December 31, 2010 10:18:38PM

Posted by tonglen

Editor: I'm surprised you allow this sort of thing to be posted.

Posted by Mister Ree

Posted by Editor, Gazette Online

Posted by tonglen December 31, 2010 10:18:38PM

Posted by tonglen

Editor: I'm surprised you allow this sort of thing to be posted.

Posted by Mister Ree

Posted by Editor, Gazette Online

Posted by tonglen December 31, 2010 09:59:10PM

Posted by tonglen

Editor: I'm surprised you allow this sort of thing to be posted.

Posted by Mister Ree

Posted by tonglen December 31, 2010 09:45:03PM

Posted by tonglen

Editor: I'm surprised you allow this sort of thing to be posted.

Posted by Mister Ree

Posted by Editor, Gazette Online December 31, 2010 04:08:23PM

tonglen, you and your razor wit should be on the stage.

Posted by boring December 31, 2010 01:27:19PM

Posted by tonglen

Editor: I'm surprised you allow this sort of thing to be posted.

Posted by Mister Ree December 31, 2010 11:34:52AM