PHUKET: Newly-installed Phuket Provincial Police Commander Chonasit Wattanavrangku has ordered all officers on the island to strictly enforce the law and ensure public safety over the New Year holiday now underway.

Chonasit Wattanavrangkul, whose last assignment was as Songkhla Provincial Police Commander, took over the position from Maj Gen Pekad Tantipong in the latest police reshuffle announced on Christmas Day.

Maj Gen Pekad was transferred to Bangkok, where he will serve as commander of the Legal Affairs and Litigation Division.

Representatives from all police units on the island were on hand at Phuket Provincial Police Headquarters yesterday to greet their new boss upon arrival.

“I will use my position to do my best to serve the public. During the New Year festivity period we will strictly enforce public safety regulations, because a lot of tourists are coming to Phuket for the holidays," he said.

– Warisa Temram

Is it planning to come to Hayek Chalong Pier Road and Rawai to crackdown on the very noisy girly bars as well? And the beauty salons offering oil massages with special services in back rooms?

Posted by Whistle-Blower December 30, 2011 04:05:46PM

Posted by Whistle-Blower

What's your problem with special services in back rooms? Don't like it? Don't go there, that simple. You really are a whistle blower, aren't you?

Posted by MIke December 30, 2011 04:25:25PM

Posted by Whistle-Blower

Posted by MIke

If we had only Soi Bangla for prostitution it might have been acceptable, but today it is the whole of Phuket which is becoming a brothel... at the expense of hundreds of thousand residents, Thais and foreigners alike.

Posted by Whistle-Blower December 30, 2011 06:10:06PM

Posted by mick December 30, 2011 06:36:57PM

And after January 5th the law won't be enforced?

Posted by Tbs December 30, 2011 06:42:58PM

Posted by Whistle-Blower

Posted by MIke

Well guys I've only been to Phuket 4 times now and enjoy my foot massages, but I've never gone to the happy ending room yet as I think my wife would kill me. HA HA. See you next year – I've got my fingers crossed.

Posted by tricky December 30, 2011 07:10:37PM

And after January 5th the law won't be enforced?

Posted by Tbs

So the police never have surge operations in your counry tbs? Where in the article did it say that the law wouldn't be enforced?

Posted by Mister Ree December 30, 2011 07:17:04PM

Posted by mick

Is it "here, here" or is it "hear, hear"? I've always wondered about that.

Posted by Jason Beaver December 30, 2011 07:49:26PM

I hope he is true to his word and honour as an officer and a gentleman to serve the Thai public and tourists alike. Let's hope he stamps his authority from the start with the full weight of Thai law against thugs ,crooks and corrupt officials who have played their part in sullying this island's name and reputation around the world. I wish you good luck, Commander Chonasit; please use your broom well in 2012. Phuket needs it badly.

Posted by Col Mustard December 30, 2011 08:06:18PM

"A crackdown on the illegal sale of alcohol, carrying of firearms and operation of nightlife venues after authorized hours will run through January 5, he said." Why not every day?

Posted by larry December 30, 2011 08:30:47PM

A crackdown on the illegal sale of alcohol, carrying of firearms and operation of nightlife venues after authorized hours will run through January 5, he said. What about tuk-tuks and jet-skis?

Posted by Shaun Taylor December 31, 2011 12:36:09AM

Posted by mick

Is it "here, here" or is it "hear, hear"? I've always wondered about that.

Posted by Jason Beaver

FYI. “Hear, hear” is a shortened version of “hear ye, hear ye,” which goes back to British Parliament in the 1600s, if not earlier. The expression was – and is – used to draw attention to what someone is saying. It implies agreement with the speaker or, in modern times, the writer.

Posted by Laurie Howells December 31, 2011 08:15:54AM

Posted by Col Mustard

Good on ya', Col Mustard. I certainly echo your wish and your sentiments. So very much more constructive than all the simpleton's criticisms I see in this forum.

Posted by Dave Halvorsen December 31, 2011 08:49:21AM

Posted by mick

Is it "here, here" or is it "hear, hear"? I've always wondered about that.

Posted by Jason Beaver

According to Wilkipedia it is "hear, hear". Interesting.

Posted by flyer December 31, 2011 08:54:41AM

Posted by mick

Is it "here, here" or is it "hear, hear"? I've always wondered about that.

Posted by Jason Beaver

According to Wilkipedia it is "hear, hear". Interesting.

Posted by flyer

So next time I'm in a group and someone says something I enthusiastically agree with, I will say "hear, hear", mindful of the correct meaning (and spelling). Thanks for research. I should have done it myself but forgot about Google, Wiki, et al.

Posted by Jason Beaver December 31, 2011 09:12:23AM

Posted by larry

If it were every day, there would be no need for all these 1950s-style crackdowns. So a crackdown is really just an acknowledgement of routine failure to enforce the law.

Posted by Matt Henderson December 31, 2011 09:20:52AM

Posted by Whistle-Blower

What's wrong with special massage in back room out of view? It very good for Thai lady, pay bills and have good life. You wan pay all the Thai girl massage lady money if you wan it stop? You stupid man!

Posted by Pooy December 31, 2011 09:26:45AM

Posted by Whistle-Blower

Posted by Pooy

1/– offering sex in bars or beauty salons is illegal and police should crack down on illegal premises; otherwise the law is useless. 2/– Bars are offering full sex services on the second floor with the window wide open and in full view of my children's room and the kitchen where I can see it with my wife as a free sex-show on daily basis.

Posted by Whistle-Blower December 31, 2011 09:56:29AM

A crackdown on the illegal sale of alcohol and operation of nightlife venues after authorized hours has NOTHING to do with public safety.

Strictly enforcing traffic law would be, but only when enforcing the law every day and not only until the 5th of January. Stopping people from running the red light would ensure public safety, but if someone sells alcohol outside the official selling hours doesn’t affect safety.

Posted by Frank Heise December 31, 2011 11:22:42AM

Posted by mick

Is it "here, here" or is it "hear, hear"? I've always wondered about that.

Posted by Jason Beaver

According to Wilkipedia it is "hear, hear". Interesting.

Posted by flyer

Posted by Jason Beaver

Wow, thanks guys; I stand corrected, ha ha.

Posted by mick January 1, 2012 03:17:06PM

Posted by larry

Posted by Matt Henderson

Well said Matt.

Posted by Jan January 3, 2012 09:42:56AM

Posted by larry

Posted by Matt Henderson

Well said Matt.

Posted by Jan January 3, 2012 09:42:56AM

Posted by mick

Is it "here, here" or is it "hear, hear"? I've always wondered about that.

Posted by Jason Beaver

According to Wilkipedia it is "hear, hear". Interesting.

Posted by flyer

Posted by Jason Beaver

Wow, thanks guys; I stand corrected, ha ha.

Posted by mick January 1, 2012 03:17:06PM

Posted by Frank Heise December 31, 2011 11:22:42AM

Posted by Whistle-Blower

Posted by Pooy

Posted by Whistle-Blower December 31, 2011 09:56:29AM

Posted by Whistle-Blower

Posted by Pooy December 31, 2011 09:26:45AM

Posted by larry

Posted by Matt Henderson December 31, 2011 09:20:52AM

Posted by mick

Is it "here, here" or is it "hear, hear"? I've always wondered about that.

Posted by Jason Beaver

According to Wilkipedia it is "hear, hear". Interesting.

Posted by flyer

Posted by Jason Beaver December 31, 2011 09:12:23AM

Posted by mick

Is it "here, here" or is it "hear, hear"? I've always wondered about that.

Posted by Jason Beaver

According to Wilkipedia it is "hear, hear". Interesting.

Posted by flyer December 31, 2011 08:54:41AM

Posted by Col Mustard

Posted by Dave Halvorsen December 31, 2011 08:49:21AM

Posted by mick

Is it "here, here" or is it "hear, hear"? I've always wondered about that.

Posted by Jason Beaver

Posted by Laurie Howells December 31, 2011 08:15:54AM

Posted by Shaun Taylor December 31, 2011 12:36:09AM

Posted by larry December 30, 2011 08:30:47PM

Posted by Col Mustard December 30, 2011 08:06:18PM

Posted by mick

Is it "here, here" or is it "hear, hear"? I've always wondered about that.

Posted by Jason Beaver December 30, 2011 07:49:26PM

And after January 5th the law won't be enforced?

Posted by Tbs

Posted by Mister Ree December 30, 2011 07:17:04PM

Posted by Whistle-Blower

Posted by MIke

Posted by tricky December 30, 2011 07:10:37PM

And after January 5th the law won't be enforced?

Posted by Tbs December 30, 2011 06:42:58PM