PHUKET: Two police complaints were filed yesterday after protesters once again blocked access to the Phuket Community Center, preventing a candidate from enrolling for the February 2 national elections.

Pheu Thai candidate Visit Jaiart was prevented from entering the building to submit his candidacy.

“I arrived to register at 8:30am, but protesters were blocking the doors and had taped flags over them to prevent people from getting in,” Mr Visit said. “I was afraid to enter the building because I thought that the protesters might attack me, so I went to the police station to file a complaint.”

The Director of the Phuket Election Commission (PEC) also filed a police complaint because he was unable to enter the building to fulfill his duties.

“I arrived at the building with PEC officers at 8am, but we couldn’t get in because of the protesters. They were blocking all the doors,” said Phuket Election Commission (PEC) Director Kittipong Thiengkunakrit.

“I notified the Election Commission of Thailand in Bangkok and filed a report with the police,” he said

Protesters also blocked access to the hall on Saturday, the first day of candidate enrollment (story here). However, the mass of protesters did not block access on Sunday, and one candidate was able to enter the building and formally register for the election (story here).

“Everybody has the right to think differently, but we should all respect the thoughts and freedoms of others,” said Mr Visit. “I want to have the chance to enroll as a candidate in this election.”
– Kritsada Mueanhawong

It's only the Pheu Thai party candidate complaining. He probably knows that this is the only time he will have a chance to win the seat. Can anybody tell me what would happen if the majority of voters voted NO? Does the result still stand for the next highest?

Posted by Jon Patong December 31, 2013 10:26:01AM

On a previous occasion, I voiced my opinion that whereas I support free speech and the right to protest, I did not support obstructing others in their daily lives. I was shot down by several readers who thought differently. In my opinion, stopping candidates from registering is criminal and goes far beyond the right to protest, and is tantamount to making Thailand ungovernable. I would like to hear other views.

Posted by Dave December 31, 2013 10:58:51AM

Posted by Dave

Yes, Dave, of course this obstruction is criminal. Try obstructing someone from voting or registering as a candidate in any "civilised" country and see what happens. The police are not doing their duty. They should be allowing safe passage for anyone to enter the building. So this criminal activity is being supported, if not encouraged, by one if the largest criminal groups on the island.

Posted by Chas December 31, 2013 12:47:17PM

Posted by Dave

Posted by Chas

Spot on, I hope the Thais get a chance to vote. A basic right supported by the Constitution.

Posted by Hotgem December 31, 2013 07:02:27PM

Posted by Dave

Posted by Chas

Posted by Hotgem

Nah, I don't think the Thai constitution supports vote buying. In fact, I'm almost sure of it. But thanks for the thought.

Posted by Mantis January 1, 2014 08:47:51AM