As Phuket looks back a year full many negative news reports, the Phuket Gazette is happy to publish this reader's first-person account of what makes living in Phuket great.

PHUKET: Phuket is the Thailand I know and love. Having flown straight to the island and stayed, I have only heard rumors of “mainland” hospitality and the kindness Thai people are revered for. This is most often used as a counterpoint to the “bad-apple” attractive force of Phuket. Though I see the works of the bad apples regularly, I find that when I’m truly in need there is always someone there.

As I apparently have no understanding what the “E” on a motorbike fuel gauge refers to, I often find myself stranded on the side of the road out of gas. As Murphy’s Law dictates, this happens at the most inconvenient times – 3am riding back from Patong, or 11pm on the bypass road with no petrol in sight. In these moments, when I am truly helpless to do much else than buckle down and start pushing, I find the people of Phuket quietly stepping up to help.

It was a long night in Patong and I managed to roll down the big hill toward Karon Circle before the bike died. There was no sign of petrol anywhere.

A heavy set “working woman” approached from across the street. There was no conversation about prospective work, she simply wanted to know what was wrong with my bike. Having established I was out of petrol, she offered to get on her motorbike to get some.

Time passed, I grew impatient and started hiking, only to find her zipping back with a bottle of petrol as promised. I can’t imagine how far away the nearest local petrol stand must have been. After fueling up, I asked how much it cost – admittedly nervous about getting skinned. It cost 40 baht… exactly what it cost at the stands. I paid, profusely thanked her and puttered home.

More recently, on the bypass road, I was given a push from a young well-dressed man to the nearest petrol stand after I had, again, run out of petrol.

The island is full of these incidents, these small favors that turn a ruinous night into a passing annoyance. As we step into the new year, I can only hope that us “bar grumblers” start keeping a tally not only of our grumbling points, but also of those times, when in need, we were greeted with earnest concern and a solution.
– Alex Stone

Sounds like Alex needs a new pair of glasses – or the petrol gauge on his bike repaired.

Posted by The Clown December 31, 2012 01:30:27PM

To the author, Alex, learn what the "E" is for and check it; otherwise, one day you could find yourself once again having your name in PG, but not in a good way. Anyway, what is the reason for this article? Is it a slow news day?

Posted by Laurie Howells December 31, 2012 03:53:49PM

Posted by Laurie Howells

Ms Howells: What is the reason for ANY article? This one, just FYI, is known as an 'opinion piece'. I think we all – even you – have a right to express one from time to time, don't you? Anyway, Happy New Year, khrap, and I hope you and your husband enjoy your visit to Thailand as much as my wife and I enjoy living here.

Posted by Be Fair December 31, 2012 06:03:00PM

Well "Be Fair", I expressed my opion. By the way are you a lesbian, because you seem to think I am Gay, I truely do not know why people believe I am female. Anyway Gay, lesbian or straight, wish you and yours a very Happy New Year.

Posted by Laurie Howells (Male) January 1, 2013 07:47:34AM

Happy New year Alex! Maybe your NY resolution should be to figure out what E means. Also if you make it a habit to be on the roads at 03:00 we may read about you in the PG as a victim of the bandits roaming the roads in the wee hours.

That said, over the years I have lived here I too have been rescued from several mishaps by smiling Thais. Thanks to them and best wishes for a happy and prosperous New Year.

Posted by William January 1, 2013 08:33:06AM