PHUKET: Four Russian tourists on their way to a Phuket magic show got a painful dose of reality on Thursday night, when the passenger van they were riding in collided with a delivery truck south of Patong.

The accident happened at about 7pm on Wiset Road in front of Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort on the first day of the nationwide Seven Days if Danger road safety campaign.

A security coordinator at the resort told the Gazette that one of his men witnessed the accident.

The driver of the delivery vehicle, heading towards Karon to transport goods to a Super Cheap convenience store, lost control when he had to slam on his brakes to avoid rear-ending a six-wheeled truck ahead of him, the guard said.

The truck swerved across the center line and hit the passenger van, reportedly en route to a performance of the Danze Fantasy magic show on Soi Bangla in Patong.

The van came to rest in the middle of the road, while the truck, with two Burmese workers in the back, went off the road and slid into a roadside ditch near the hotel entrance.

Phuket Kusoldham Foundation rescue workers said that the minivan driver, 28-year-old Supey Binchomphu, suffered a broken leg and three of the four Russians were rushed to Patong Hospital for emergency treatment.

The fourth Russian involved in the accident turned up at the hospital later for treatment of minor injuries.

Both Burmese workers were also treated at Patong Hospital. One required stitches for a laceration near his mouth and the other was treated for multiple bone fractures after he was thrown out of the vehicle.

The minivan driver and four Russians were later transferred to Bangkok Hospital in Phuket Town.
– Atchaa Khamlo

I have lived in Thailand for over 8 years , and only this week discovered that when a driving test is taken there is not even an examiner in the vehicle. The test involves watching the driver drive around the test centre! Is it any wonder these situations occur? Married with a lack of law enforcement and a non existent survival instinct, it's surprising not more accidents occur daily. Happy new year to all.

Posted by A Williams December 31, 2011 12:10:02PM

Posted by A Williams

You are quite correct, the test is just like a children's cycling test (don't hit the cones and you pass!) When my wife started lessons all the instructor did was tell her to drive around (no parking, reversing, highway code etc) Joke!!

Posted by phuket paradise December 31, 2011 03:22:41PM

A friend of mine many years ago up north managed to bump into a buffalo and scare an elderly woman off her bike during her driving test . She did pass anyway as she paid some tip .

The new license was celebrated on her first drive by forgetting to release the handbrake ... did not smell good and a bit of maintenance was required.

She later moved to Phuket and surprisingly never had a serious accident there..

Posted by Bjarne January 1, 2012 08:59:18AM

Posted by phuket paradise

It's all true, and is probably the only time they will even think about driving with any care, or any thought of road rules....lol. Who am I kidding; I don't think there are any road rules, but then I haven't seen the written test.

Posted by Laurie Howells January 1, 2012 01:02:26PM

Posted by phuket paradise

Posted by Laurie Howells

How do you get around this island without a licence? That public bus must be a pain.

Posted by Jack Sparrow January 2, 2012 02:06:52AM

Posted by phuket paradise

Posted by Laurie Howells

If you really don't think there are rules of the road in Thailand, I would urge you to cease driving here. How did you get your license? It's just fine to complain about the Thais and how they don't have licences, etc, but you yourself are unqualified to drive on Thai roads, so, again, please get off before you cause an accident!

Posted by Dave Hampton January 2, 2012 09:12:26AM

Posted by phuket paradise

Posted by Laurie Howells

Posted by Dave Hampton

Who's talking here about driving yourself in Phuket?

If you'd been paying attention when you read the story you MIGHT have noticed that the Russians who were injured were NOT driving themselves. As I read the story, they were riding in a passenger van!

So what is your recommendation now?

Posted by John Owen January 3, 2012 03:59:05AM

Posted by phuket paradise

Posted by Laurie Howells

Posted by Jack Sparrow

Where does it say I don't have a license? In fact I have both, motorbike and motorcar. Oh yes, both Thai licences. Just read what was written; don't make up stories.

Posted by Laurie Howells January 3, 2012 08:47:49AM

Posted by phuket paradise

Posted by Laurie Howells

Posted by Jack Sparrow

Posted by Laurie Howells January 3, 2012 08:47:49AM

Posted by phuket paradise

Posted by Laurie Howells

Posted by Dave Hampton

Who's talking here about driving yourself in Phuket?

So what is your recommendation now?

Posted by John Owen January 3, 2012 03:59:05AM

Posted by phuket paradise

Posted by Laurie Howells

Posted by Dave Hampton January 2, 2012 09:12:26AM

Posted by phuket paradise

Posted by Laurie Howells

Posted by Jack Sparrow January 2, 2012 02:06:52AM

Posted by phuket paradise

Posted by Laurie Howells January 1, 2012 01:02:26PM

She later moved to Phuket and surprisingly never had a serious accident there..

Posted by Bjarne January 1, 2012 08:59:18AM