Phuket Gazette

CHALONG, PHUKET: A 17-year-old student of the British International School died from an accidental electrocution on Christmas Day.

Chalong Police Investigator Boonlert Onklang identified the deceased as Anurak Gottschalk, son of a German photographer and his Thai companion who works as a cook aboard a tour boat.

At about 5:30pm, the boy’s German uncle and a housemaid found Anurak dead in the bathroom of their home in Chalong Village 9.

They went to check on the boy after realizing that he was taking an unusually long shower.

Anurak’s body was covered in electrical burn marks and his hands were still clutching the sprayer when he was discovered.

Rescue workers from the Phuket Ruamjai Kupai Foundation brought the body to Vachira Phuket Hospital, where Anurak was pronounced dead on arrival.

An examination of the body determined cardiac failure resulting from electrical shock as the cause of death.
– Pimwara Choksakulpan

1

My condolences to the parents and relatives. Please all others makes sure the electrical wiring and equipment in your home is grounded and connected properly. Most tradespeople who install these units are NOT qualified electricians. Check all your outlets and built-in units with an inexpensive tester for safe conditions. Water and electricity do not mix, as this tragedy demonstrates.

Posted by Dr Wezzi December 30, 2009 05:49:43PM

Reply

0    0

2

RIP Anurak! This is a common problem waiting to happen hundreds if not thousands of times in Thailand, and maybe in your home! More than likely installed without grounding and without a Ground Earth Leak Circuit Breaker. Unfortunately, in most cases the shower hot water heater is installed by non-professional 'electricians' that just hook up power. Pay a professional to check yours!

The cost to do it right – adding ground and changing to the correct size Earth Leak Circuit Breaker – should be no more than 2,000 to 3,000 baht.

Obviously in this particular case there was something that caused a short in the system to the shower handle, but as these types of hot water heaters get older, they all have the potential!

Posted by Brad Kenny December 30, 2009 10:06:11PM

Reply

0    0

3

Very sorry to hear that. When I asked our Swiss friend to install an ELCB for the water heater, my family thought I'm crazy.

Posted by Hajo December 31, 2009 12:10:11AM

Reply

0    0

4

Ohhhh, very sad news. Sorry to hear that. My condolences, and take care.

Posted by Phanuphong January 1, 2010 12:27:53PM

Reply

0    0

5

Calling all parents! Please, please make sure you take some time in the new year to check your electrical wiring, especially around pools, bathrooms and anywhere with water. The standard of wiring installation here is "shocking" to say the least.

If you want your electrical wiring checked by an independent "British Standards" qualified chap, then please contact David Robertson. Or contact me and I will be happy to pass on the info.

Not checking your wiring where water is present just isn't worth the risk.

Posted by robin plant January 1, 2010 04:52:21PM

Reply

0    0

6

There is NO such thing as an Accidental Electrical Death. The person who INSTALLED it should be held accountable. The installer should be arrested for Man Slaughter. The End. No Substitute. As an electrician myself, this angers me deeply.

Posted by Tbs January 2, 2010 02:07:06PM

Reply

0    0

7

Calling all parents! Please, please make sure you take some time in the new year to check your electrical wiring, especially around pools, bathrooms and anywhere with water. The standard of wiring installation here is "shocking" to say the least.

If you want your electrical wiring checked by an independent "British Standards" qualified chap, then please contact David Robertson. Or contact me and I will be happy to pass on the info.

Not checking your wiring where water is present just isn't worth the risk.

Posted by robin plant

Grateful if you could give contact details for David Robertson. Many thanks.

Posted by Patrick Vickers January 8, 2010 12:28:03PM

Reply

0    0

8

Calling all parents! Please, please make sure you take some time in the new year to check your electrical wiring, especially around pools, bathrooms and anywhere with water. The standard of wiring installation here is "shocking" to say the least.

If you want your electrical wiring checked by an independent "British Standards" qualified chap, then please contact David Robertson. Or contact me and I will be happy to pass on the info.

Not checking your wiring where water is present just isn't worth the risk.

Posted by robin plant

Grateful if you could give contact details for David Robertson. Many thanks.

Posted by Patrick Vickers

We don't have contact details for David Robertson, but oo contact Robin Plant please see http://www.phuketgazette.net/guide/details.asp?TypeQuery=1&premium=yes&id=3875&subcatname=234

Posted by Editor, Gazette Online January 8, 2010 05:44:43PM

Reply

0    0

10

RIP, Anurak.

Posted by jj james February 19, 2010 04:25:16PM

Reply

0    0

10

RIP, Anurak.

Posted by jj james February 19, 2010 04:25:16PM

Reply

0    0

8

Calling all parents! Please, please make sure you take some time in the new year to check your electrical wiring, especially around pools, bathrooms and anywhere with water. The standard of wiring installation here is "shocking" to say the least.

If you want your electrical wiring checked by an independent "British Standards" qualified chap, then please contact David Robertson. Or contact me and I will be happy to pass on the info.

Not checking your wiring where water is present just isn't worth the risk.

Posted by robin plant

Grateful if you could give contact details for David Robertson. Many thanks.

Posted by Patrick Vickers

We don't have contact details for David Robertson, but oo contact Robin Plant please see http://www.phuketgazette.net/guide/details.asp?TypeQuery=1&premium=yes&id=3875&subcatname=234

Posted by Editor, Gazette Online January 8, 2010 05:44:43PM

Reply

0    0

7

Calling all parents! Please, please make sure you take some time in the new year to check your electrical wiring, especially around pools, bathrooms and anywhere with water. The standard of wiring installation here is "shocking" to say the least.

If you want your electrical wiring checked by an independent "British Standards" qualified chap, then please contact David Robertson. Or contact me and I will be happy to pass on the info.

Not checking your wiring where water is present just isn't worth the risk.

Posted by robin plant

Grateful if you could give contact details for David Robertson. Many thanks.

Posted by Patrick Vickers January 8, 2010 12:28:03PM

Reply

0    0

6

There is NO such thing as an Accidental Electrical Death. The person who INSTALLED it should be held accountable. The installer should be arrested for Man Slaughter. The End. No Substitute. As an electrician myself, this angers me deeply.

Posted by Tbs January 2, 2010 02:07:06PM

Reply

0    0

5

Calling all parents! Please, please make sure you take some time in the new year to check your electrical wiring, especially around pools, bathrooms and anywhere with water. The standard of wiring installation here is "shocking" to say the least.

If you want your electrical wiring checked by an independent "British Standards" qualified chap, then please contact David Robertson. Or contact me and I will be happy to pass on the info.

Not checking your wiring where water is present just isn't worth the risk.

Posted by robin plant January 1, 2010 04:52:21PM

Reply

0    0

4

Ohhhh, very sad news. Sorry to hear that. My condolences, and take care.

Posted by Phanuphong January 1, 2010 12:27:53PM

Reply

0    0

3

Very sorry to hear that. When I asked our Swiss friend to install an ELCB for the water heater, my family thought I'm crazy.

Posted by Hajo December 31, 2009 12:10:11AM

Reply

0    0

2

RIP Anurak! This is a common problem waiting to happen hundreds if not thousands of times in Thailand, and maybe in your home! More than likely installed without grounding and without a Ground Earth Leak Circuit Breaker. Unfortunately, in most cases the shower hot water heater is installed by non-professional 'electricians' that just hook up power. Pay a professional to check yours!

The cost to do it right – adding ground and changing to the correct size Earth Leak Circuit Breaker – should be no more than 2,000 to 3,000 baht.

Obviously in this particular case there was something that caused a short in the system to the shower handle, but as these types of hot water heaters get older, they all have the potential!

Posted by Brad Kenny December 30, 2009 10:06:11PM

Reply

0    0

1

My condolences to the parents and relatives. Please all others makes sure the electrical wiring and equipment in your home is grounded and connected properly. Most tradespeople who install these units are NOT qualified electricians. Check all your outlets and built-in units with an inexpensive tester for safe conditions. Water and electricity do not mix, as this tragedy demonstrates.

Posted by Dr Wezzi December 30, 2009 05:49:43PM

Reply

0    0

Right push panel.

Close
© 2017 The Phuket Gazette Co Ltd | Desktop Version