PHUKET MEDIA WATCH
– Thailand news selected by Gazette editors for Phuket's international community

Work permit, visa proposals get positive response
The Nation / Phuket Gazette
PHUKET: The Joint Standing Committee on Commerce, Industry and Banking has given an update on its proposals to amend the country's visa and work-permit regulations, which it says have received a positive response - with some areas already having been fixed by government agencies.

Issara Wongkusolkij, president of the JSCCIB and chairman of the Thai Chamber of Commerce, yesterday said the main amendment to the work-permit regulations proposed to the government concerned the separation of regulations for unskilled immigrant workers and foreign investors, in order to provide more support for investors, alongside the improvement of various business and foreign visas.

Kalin Sarasin, secretary-general of the Chamber, said there had been a meeting between the interior minister, the Labour Ministry, the Immigration Bureau, the Foreign Ministry, the Tourism Authority of Thailand and the JSCCIB, among others, on September 10.

The outcome of the discussion has already led to some changes in the visa and work-permit regulations, he added.

These include an improved procedure regarding applications for work permits, an online option for 90-day reporting, and the exemption from work-permit regulations for a foreign businessperson merely in the Kingdom for a meeting, although a business operator who wants to have authorization power will still require a work permit.

Business operators who want to visit an exhibition in Thailand will also be exempted from having to get a work permit, but they will still need one if they want to open a booth or trade at a fair.

However, if it is a state-run exhibition, such as "Thai-Fex World of Food", any foreign operator who wants to open a booth or trade at the event will not require a work permit.

Meanwhile, foreign teachers can now apply for a maximum two-year visa, but they need a work permit guaranteeing their employment.

Foreign students will still need to apply for a year-on-year visa, while foreigners who want to visit to use the healthcare service in Thailand will be granted a permit to stay up to 60-90 days, with an extension possible with the presentation of a doctor's certificate.

However, Kalin said the information regarding work-permit and visa regulations, procedures and applications still needed to be more widely available and much easier to understand, and the JSCCIB urged government agencies to increase the use of technology in order to provide better access for foreigners.

Darren Buckley, president of the American Chamber of Commerce in Thailand, said he appreciated every government effort to simplify the procedure for getting a work permit and the improvement of visa requirements for businesspersons visiting Thailand on a temporary basis, as the system had overcomplicated matters.

If the system is simpler and better organized, it would improve foreign investors' sentiment, he said, adding the impact of the new regulations remained to be seen, however, as they were only introduced last month.

— Phuket Gazette Editors

What is the site for "...an online option for 90-day reporting..."? There's nothing on the Phuket Immigration site.

Posted by Jim October 8, 2014 10:33:56AM

Posted by Jim

Phuket Immigration have always operated on their own, with different policies, rules, and 'attitudes' and (ahem) charges than Immigration Bangkok. Hopefully, they will finally be brought under control and made to behave in accordance with the central government's wishes.

Posted by Derek Julian October 8, 2014 11:08:39AM

Posted by Jim

There are reports of some officers asking money for 90-day reporting at Phuket Immigration office – along with all the other 'free' services they (try to) charge for, such as address confirmation letters. Don't hold your breath waiting for a website!

Posted by agogohome October 8, 2014 02:06:49PM

Posted by agogohome

Yes, this office is living in the past. It needs to be brought up to date and weaned off of corruption - and quickly. The third world practices are no longer acceptable in developing Thailand.

Posted by Henry Stratton October 8, 2014 02:14:25PM

Posted by Derek Julian

That won't happen until EVERYONE refuses to hand officers tea money. At the moment, their 'we ask, we get' policy works well for them. The attitude of foreigners needs to change, as well, not just the attitude of the civil servants.

Posted by agogohome October 8, 2014 02:19:59PM

Posted by agogohome

I've done the 90 day check-in thing for a number of years at the Phuket Immigration office. I've never had to pay anything.

Posted by Jim October 8, 2014 02:28:38PM

It has been ten+ years since tea baht was requested or short changed. The volunteer people do a wonderful service of assisting and 90 or "O" I am in and out a few minutes. Some of you complainers are twilight zone. Michael Maurice Arvin

Posted by Michael Arvin October 8, 2014 05:10:26PM

Posted by Jim

So have I, Jim – and I've never been asked money for the 90 day stamp, either. However, since the elimination of the TM7, I've read at least two comments about people being charged for printing out the notice slip. I have to do my reporting again in a week or so, so I might report back. I assume you've renewed a driving licence in the years you've been here. How much did the address confirmation letter cost you?

Posted by agogohome October 8, 2014 05:56:07PM

Posted by Derek Julian

Posted by agogohome

Agree 100%. Have never been asked for money; however, have seen several 'impatient' folks making bad decisions by offering 'tea money'. Really a bad idea.

Posted by David October 8, 2014 07:49:10PM

Posted by Derek Julian

Posted by David

Bad idea? Why bad idea? If I can save a couple of wasted hours by giving some staff guy 1,000 baht, I'll certainly do it. Time is money. Not rocket science.

Posted by Ivan Chekov October 8, 2014 08:35:43PM

TM 7 is an extension of stay, maybe a typo. The TM47 is the 90-day form and I think it is used, is it not?

Posted by Ivan Gort October 8, 2014 10:18:32PM

Posted by agogohome

I just bought a new motorcycle so I had to do the address confirmation again yesterday (8th). Patong charged me $B500. Isn't this supposed to be free?

Posted by Jim October 9, 2014 07:58:58AM

Posted by Ivan Gort

Fascinating, really. Did you hear it from the intellectuals on Thai Visa? :)))

Posted by Trivia October 9, 2014 08:08:59AM

Posted by Jim

You didn't ask for an official receipt? If not, they must love you. Next time, please insist on it. It would help to make life a lot nicer for the rest of us. I renewed my driver's license 4 months ago (for another 5 years) and paid nothing for the address confirmation letter.

Posted by Peter Stuyvesant October 9, 2014 08:15:16AM

Posted by Jim

Instead of 500 baht, you should have offered 1,000 baht and the officer would have filled up the whole form for you. Why not? Bribes and ripoffs are destroying the good feeling of farang toward Thais.

Posted by Asterix October 9, 2014 09:02:18AM

Posted by Asterix

Of course. How do you respect a government "officer" who begs for a bribe? Or who won't even do his JOB without a bribe? Impossible.

Posted by Carl Roberson October 9, 2014 09:17:33AM

Posted by Ivan Gort

Correct, Ivan. My typo! TM47 used to be the form. :-)

Posted by agogohome October 9, 2014 11:37:07AM

Posted by Jim

It's completely free, Jim. Your 500 baht went straight into the officer's pocket! I refused to pay the other week (in Phuket town) and reluctantly he gave it to me free – but not before I asked for a receipt and lied that my wife works as a reporter for a local newspaper :-) I'd like the Phuket Gazette to approach the Superintendent and ask why this is allowed to happen.

Posted by agogohome October 9, 2014 11:46:48AM

Posted by Peter Stuyvesant

Well done Peter! It's a pity more people don't refuse to pay. It's the main reason these guys get away with it.

Posted by agogohome October 9, 2014 11:50:08AM

Thanks to everyone for keeping this thread alive and kicking. It's time the Immigration department weeded out corrupt officers, whilst the window of opportunity exists. Please keep replying – and please, Gazette, follow it up.

Posted by agogohome October 9, 2014 11:55:57AM

Never paid for a 90 day renewal in Phuket Town. I go there to avoid the 100-baht non-receiptable fee in Patong. I'd rather spend more money on fuel than fuel corruption. Last Residence Certificate cost me 300 baht (no receipt) in Phuket Town, but I think they should charge for that service and produce a receipt. After all, if I get a letter from the bank, I pay (and get a receipt). My most recent retirement extension cost me 1,900 baht, no extras.

Posted by Mister Ree October 9, 2014 01:14:08PM

Posted by David

Posted by Ivan Chekov

Then you are part of the problem and just encourage them to be corrupt!

Posted by pj27 October 9, 2014 01:49:13PM

I paid 300 baht for an address certification a couple months ago. The only trouble with asking for a receipt is that the next time you go in and they remember you, they'll give you a hard time. Why? Because they can.

Posted by rich October 9, 2014 02:41:52PM

Posted by agogohome

We will ask the Superintendent within the next few days and post the results. Thanks for the suggestion. - Ed

Posted by Editor, Gazette Online October 9, 2014 04:01:56PM

Posted by rich

Give it right back to 'em. Pull out your cell phone and take a little pic. If your presence in Phuket is legitimate, and if all your docs are as they should be, then you've nothing to fear. But if they think you're weak, they'll steamroll you.

Posted by Clif Hotchkiss October 9, 2014 04:39:53PM

Posted by agogohome

Thanks agogo. After 5 years, I'm still learning. Once I do, I don't make the same mistakes again. I should have been asking for receipts years ago.

Posted by Jim October 9, 2014 06:36:34PM

Posted by Clif Hotchkiss

You cannot take pictures inside the office, but someone should do it with a hidden camera and post it up on YouTube. Same with the fast lane fee at the airport.

Posted by The Night Mare October 9, 2014 07:13:01PM

I have called it on the officers for trying to charge for Cert Residency. I was then denied a 1 year extension though all my paperwork, employee req, etc were in perfect order. The excuse, "Not enough profit". So 90-day border runs – that's what needs to be amended. You have a 1 year visa and a 1 year work permit, but you have to exit every 90 days? Guess it's a rule made to prop up the visa run vans. Time to stop supporting this country.

Posted by The Night Mare October 9, 2014 07:26:22PM

Posted by Derek Julian

Posted by David

Posted by Ivan Chekov

Time may be money in your world, Ivan, but pride and respect for the traditional values of the Kingdom are priceless.

Posted by David October 9, 2014 07:26:35PM

Posted by The Night Mare

Sooner or later, it will happen. Inevitable. Can't wait! Shall we offer a reward to the first person to make such a posting on YouTube? If so, how much? And how do we protect his or her anonymity?

Posted by Ken Bergan October 9, 2014 09:11:07PM

Sad to see that you need to pay for something that should be free.

Posted by Manuel October 9, 2014 10:27:43PM

Recently, I paid 300 baht for an address certificate. Yes, I know it should have been free. Yes, I am "part of the problem", but I don't want a bigger problem when I go back for my extension next year. Everything is at the "discretion" of these guys. They can make life very hard for you if you upset them. Soon I will be getting a smart phone and will leave the video running to capture what goes on in there.

Posted by Chas October 10, 2014 02:06:23PM

Posted by Chas

Good, this is without a doubt what is needed. So now you'll be part of the solution.

Posted by Bob Hurley October 10, 2014 04:47:11PM

Posted by Ken Bergan

I'll do it for 1 million baht, and I don't give a damn who knows. I want out of this place. 1 million... that's what it'll take to ship horses to USA. $6,000 TO Thailand – $30,000 FROM Thailand to USA. Because of an "agent", you know.

Posted by The Night Mare October 10, 2014 08:02:18PM

Posted by Ken Bergan

Posted by The Night Mare

Of course! You need to get a permit from Thailand to export the horses? And visas for them to enter the USA. And if they're to be ridden for money, will they require work permits over there?

Posted by Chic Collins October 10, 2014 09:42:15PM

Posted by Ken Bergan

Posted by Chic Collins

Sarcasm? No permit needed to export, and the US is very reasonable in its import rules and fees. The extortion is from the agent, who, the airlines in Bangkok say, must be used. They just make up totally non existent rules about pre-quarantine regulations so one is forced to use his facility. Complaints go unacknowledged, much less addressed. I am going to have to put down 5 horses as no way can I place them adequately.

Posted by The Night Mare October 11, 2014 03:32:08PM

Posted by Ken Bergan

Posted by Chic Collins

Posted by The Night Mare

A pity you're going to murder your horses when you should be putting down the agent. But it's a pity you're moving to the USA; life there is not nearly as nice, comfortable and laid back as it is here. And you're going to be in for serious culture shock. People over there a really rude compared to the Thais.

Posted by Dale Westerfield October 11, 2014 09:15:00PM

Posted by Ken Bergan

Posted by Chic Collins

Posted by The Night Mare

Why do you want to murder your horses when you should be putting down the agent? And it's a pity you're moving to the USA; life there is not nearly as comfortable and laid back as it is here. I think you're going to be in for serious culture shock. People over there are really rude compared to the Thais. I'm from Canada and have no plans to return there anytime soon.

Posted by Dale Westerfield October 11, 2014 09:18:16PM

Posted by Chic Collins October 10, 2014 09:42:15PM

Posted by Ken Bergan

Posted by The Night Mare October 10, 2014 08:02:18PM

Posted by Chas

Posted by Bob Hurley October 10, 2014 04:47:11PM

Posted by Chas October 10, 2014 02:06:23PM

Sad to see that you need to pay for something that should be free.

Posted by Manuel October 9, 2014 10:27:43PM

Posted by Ken Bergan October 9, 2014 09:11:07PM

Posted by Derek Julian

Posted by David

Posted by Ivan Chekov

Posted by David October 9, 2014 07:26:35PM

Posted by The Night Mare October 9, 2014 07:26:22PM

Posted by The Night Mare October 9, 2014 07:13:01PM

Posted by Jim October 9, 2014 06:36:34PM

Posted by Clif Hotchkiss October 9, 2014 04:39:53PM

Posted by Editor, Gazette Online October 9, 2014 04:01:56PM

Posted by rich October 9, 2014 02:41:52PM

Posted by David

Posted by Ivan Chekov

Then you are part of the problem and just encourage them to be corrupt!

Posted by pj27 October 9, 2014 01:49:13PM

Posted by Mister Ree October 9, 2014 01:14:08PM

Posted by agogohome October 9, 2014 11:55:57AM

Posted by Peter Stuyvesant

Posted by agogohome October 9, 2014 11:50:08AM

Posted by agogohome October 9, 2014 11:46:48AM

Posted by Ivan Gort

Correct, Ivan. My typo! TM47 used to be the form. :-)

Posted by agogohome October 9, 2014 11:37:07AM

Posted by Asterix

Posted by Carl Roberson October 9, 2014 09:17:33AM

Posted by Asterix October 9, 2014 09:02:18AM

Posted by Peter Stuyvesant October 9, 2014 08:15:16AM

Posted by Ivan Gort

Fascinating, really. Did you hear it from the intellectuals on Thai Visa? :)))

Posted by Trivia October 9, 2014 08:08:59AM